Top College News Subscribe to the Newsletter

Living with a hero

Students speak about growing up in a military family

Reporter

Published: Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Updated: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 17:02

Growing up in a military family is much different from civilian life. For some Ottawa University students, their families’ military responsibilities bring honor, teach valuable life lessons and also bring some stress to the family.

Senior Sydnee Krueger has learned a tremendous amount from having her dad serve in the Army.

“Having my dad in the Army has helped me become more self dependent, but also helped me stay strong through the tough times when we would move to other homes,” she said.

Freshman Bekka Bailey learned not to take time for granted.

“It has taught me to value the time that I have with my dad, and I also have a perfect role model to show me how to act.”

Junior Blaise Speer said, “I have greater respect for everybody who is in the military and their families because I’ve experienced what they’ve gone through.”

There are many pros and cons of having a parent in the military.

“The best part is having an example of standing up for what you believe in, the worst part, however, is even if they are standing up for what they believe in, they might not come back home.”

Bailey likes the different places that she has lived throughout her childhood.

“Going to the new places where my dad was stationed was my favorite part, but my least favorite was when he was deployed I had to go long periods of time without being able to talk to him,” she said.

Speer added, “The best part is hearing the stories about the people overseas and the feeling of pride that comes with knowing your parent is sacrificing everything for this country.”

Recommended: Articles that may interest you

Be the first to comment on this article!

log out